When life gives you a Frankenstorm and apples that are getting soft, what does one do? One makes apple cobbler with homemade whipped cream, of course.
- 6-8 apples, cut into wedges. I used a mix of about 3-4 different varieties.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup of white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of sale
- 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed.
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss peaches with the 1/4 sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg in a glass (or non-reactive) baking dish.
- Stir together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the cubed butter and combine it with the flour mixture until butter is lentil-sized or smaller.
- Add the water and stir.
- Drop spoonfuls of the topping over the apples. I get about 6 big spoonfuls.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until top is golden.
Serve topped with homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. It’s also fabulous without any accompaniment.