I made this the other night after coming across it in the latest Vegetarian Times. I love one skillet meals!
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup broccoli florets, fresh
1/2 cup yellow squash, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup of zucchini, coarsely chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of saffron, crushed
1 cup brown whole grain rice
1/2 cup frozen peas
12 pitted green olives, halved
12 pitted black olives, halved
1/4 C fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the broccoli, pepper, squash, zucchini, onion. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, saffron, peas and garlic; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 35 minutes.
- Add the olives and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook another 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice in cooked.
- Stir in the green onions.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and lemon wedges.