As promised, here’s the cupcake recipe from my birthday party cupcakes. The recipe is adapted from the June issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine. It combines two of my favorite things…cupcakes and cookies! Each cupcake is baked with a mini cookie inside and then topped with a rich vanilla buttercream icing and a tiny little mini cookie–they really turned out amazing and were people were quite impressed.
Indie Fixx Jr. made the cookie dough and the mini cookies and I made the cupcakes and icing. She prefers making cookies and I prefer making cupcakes, so it worked out perfectly.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup milk or almond milk
4 large eggs
1 cup of butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat over to 350.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and then eggs, one at a time until all incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in a bit at a time, alternating with the milk until nicely incorporated. Begin with the flour and end with flour.
- Add cupcake liners to muffin tins.
- Drop one tablespoon of cookie dough into each baking cup. (See below). I kept mine in rounded balls. You can also press them flat as well.
- Then fill each baking cup with the cupcake batter to just under the top of the liner.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely before icing.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, top each with the icing and a mini chocolate chip cookie.
For the cookie dough:
Use any basic chocolate chip cookie dough recipe. We used the tollhouse recipe. One batch is enough. You will use approximately 1/2 IN the cupcakes, the remainder you will use to make mini cookies. Use a rounded teaspoon to drop them on the baking sheet. Bake for about 5-7 minutes.
For the Icing:
2 1/2 cups butter at room temperature
6 3/4 cups of confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Beat the butter and 1 1/2 cups of confectioners’ sugar until pale and fluffy.
- On low speed, gradually add the remaining confectioners’ sugar.
- Raise speed and add the milk and vanilla.
- Continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Store at room temperature.