Mr. Indie Fixx loves homemade Chex Mix…or at least my vegetarian version of it. Other recipes that use Worcestershire Sauce are not okay for vegetarians as Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovies, just to let you know.
I plan on making loads for homemade gifts this year, since everyone loves it when I serve it at parties. You might also want to read Shrie’s post on 14 Homemade Food Gifts if you are looking for food gift ideas.
Vegetarian Chex Mix
5 ¼ cups Corn Chex cereal
5 ¼ cups Rice Chex cereal
5 ¼ cups Wheat Chex cereal
2 ¼ cup unsalted peanuts
2 cup pretzel fish or sticks
1 ½ sticks butter
2 tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
3 tablespoons of Sesame oil
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons cumin
yields 20 cups or 10 pints
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Add the chex cereal, peanuts, pretzels to a large bowl.
- Melt butter in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add the spices, sesame oil & Tamari to the butter and stir well.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture. Use your hands to spread the mixture evenly and to coat each piece.
- Spread onto 2 large baking sheets (the kind with lips, not ones that are completely flat) lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring halfway.