patty pan, patty pan

Patty pan, patty pan.
Cooker, Jen.
Cook me up, eat me up.
Just as fast as you can.

That’s the little ditty I sung to myself, while I was cooking up my patty pan squash The other night (I like to make up songs while I cook, I entertain myself). Aren’t they pretty? I love patty pan squash. They taste good and they are just so darn cute!

I do have copious amounts of them though, so I am looking for some fresh ideas on how to use them. What do you do with your patty pan or yellow squash?

patty pan squash

9 thoughts on “patty pan, patty pan

• August 14, 2010 at 11:17 am

thanks for all the suggestions. I’m over our squash abundance and now we have too many cucumbers…

• July 29, 2010 at 2:11 pm

i love squash! i would grate them up and make buckwheat fritters.

• July 29, 2010 at 10:08 am

Steam/microwave sliced squash and onions. Put in cassarole dish with sour cream, melted butter, bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper. Put a bit more bread crumb/butter/cheese on top to brown and put in the oven. Viola! Squash casserole! omg now I’m drooling… ha

• July 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

One of my favorite ways to eat squash is sliced thick with the skin on, sprinkled with a barbecue dry rub and either grilled or pan fried til crispy on the edges. My favorite dry rub to sue for this is Penzeys Barbecue of the Americas; it’s the allspice and ginger that make it so awesome, I think.

• July 28, 2010 at 10:05 pm

My fave thing to do with them, Jen, is quarter them up & steam with onion. Then, after buttering, I sprinkle them with fresh grated parmesan. Yum! Boy, do I wish that mine looked like yours. My wee guys are really struggling this year – it just hasn’t been hot enough here….

• July 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I just saute mine with leeks in butter and salt & pepper! Mmmmm…

• July 28, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I want ideas too – didn’t eat last weeks (from CSA) and just got more!! overwhelmed by squash.

• July 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I love squash but my boyfriend likes to have them mixed into other stuff to eat them. I’ve made mushroom-squash quinoa and squash quesadillas that I like really well. Both recipes are easily adaptable to what you have on had and your own preferences. Here is the quesadilla recipe on my blog:

The mushroom squash quinoa is made by sauteeing onions, garlic, mushrooms, and squash in olive oil. Add any herbs or seasonings you like. Add the quinoa and water and veggie/chicken stock according to the directions. Mmmmmmm. Serve with a salad and dinner is served!

If you’ve never tried quinoa, you must! It is a more nutritional alternative to rice, with a great texture. People shy away from trying it sometimes because they’re afraid of the texture. I’m not a big fan of cous cous because of this, but I love quinoa!

• July 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Patty pan squash is so pretty! Last time I was rich with squash, I made refrigerator pickles following a recipe for bread and butter pickles. They came out yummy!