Indie Fixx Book Club

indie fixx book club

I love to read and I usually always have at least a dozen books on my to read pile, but there are those times that I run out of books and I haven’t heard about anything on NPR that I want to read,  nothing jumps out at me from the shelves of my local used bookstore and I just don’t have the time to devote to Booklist, alibris, New York Review of Books and the other places I find out about titles I want to read. That’s why I thought it might be fun to start a new feature called Indie Fixx Book Club and we can share books and authors with each other. It will be my version of the Oprah Book Club, but instead of discussing just one title, we help each other discover new books to read.

I thought a fun way to kick off the Book Club would be to share what’s on my reading pile right now.  Some I’ve read, some are still in the queue.

There’s several titles by Charles Bukowski, who I adore. He is gritty, raw & real and his alter-ego Henry Chinaski is fascinating &  disturbing, but is endearing in some way. He features real people with real problems, but not in phony way, just in a here-it-is kind of way. There’s also a Philip K. Dick book, he is another favorite author.  Some Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diary, which is fiction and being made into a movie with Johnny Depp. On the Road, which I haven’t read in ages, so I thought it was time to read it again. A book called This is the Beat Generation, which is non-fiction and about all the beats. Are you seeing a theme, here? I read a lot of beat era books and authors. There’s also American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I know it’s difficult to believe, but I’ve not actually read any Neil Gaiman…I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Another one of my favorite authors is Jeffrey Eugenides. Middlesex and The Virgin Suicides are brilliant and it really is time for him to come out with another novel. I’m rereading The Virgin Suicides…it’s so lyrical that it’s almost like poetry.  He also had a story in a recent The New Yorker I’ve been meaning to read (it can be found here). I also have one of those Larsson The Girl With… books. People keep telling me that they are good, doesn’t really seem like my my usual thing, but I got it for $1 at the bookstore so I thought I’d give it try.  So, that’s about it. There are a few other books there I picked up at the used bookstore, as well as some non-fiction crafty type books (not-pictured) that I’ve been sent to review and which I will talk about later.

What’s on your reading pile?

What do you recommend to me and other Indie Fixx readers? What don’t you recommend? Who are your favorite authors? I’d love it if you took a picture of your to-read pile or your bookshelves and share it on the Indie Fixx Flickr Group. I think it would be fun to share other peep’s books as well as my own for this feature.

I’d also really like to make this a pretty regular feature. At least once a month, maybe twice a month if it’s popular. I would also like to have some guest bloggers as well, so email me if you are interested. You could do a book review, share your 10 fave authors,  list what books you read on your summer vacation or whatever fits with the book club theme.

21 thoughts on “Indie Fixx Book Club

• January 20, 2011 at 2:05 am

Just found out about your book club and am very excited about the whole thing. I worked at both Borders and B&N forever so have piles of books. My favorite book is Gone With The Wind and current favorite authors are Janet Evanovich and Sophie Kinsella. While my favorite authors are part of the Chick Lit genre I’ve actually been reading in the Young Adult genre. I just finished the Hunger Game Series by Suzanne Collins and must say that they are some of the best books I have ever read. I also read Matched with is another Young Adult novel that was very good. I think my next read will be Four And Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest. I would love to participate in you book club in any way possible and would enjoy leading discussions and will be posting pictures of my books on Flickr.

• August 14, 2010 at 11:42 am

thanks for all the suggestions/recommendations. I was really fun to go through all your comments and I even put a few thins on hold at the library based on them. 😉

anyone else interested in sharing a pic of your current book pile? post it to the flickr group.

• August 12, 2010 at 11:25 am

Favorite authors include Tana French and Jewell Parker Rhodes. Lee Child. Love to read contemporary fiction.
    big hug, deborah

• August 5, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I’ll try to put a picture of mine up. I’ll have to round up my to read pile as it is randomly scattered around the house.

• August 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

One of the best books I ever read was “Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons” by Lorna Landvik. Highly recommended by my husband’s mom. She’s a book collection specialist and I’ve loved every book she has sent my way!

I’ve also recently read the following books and enjoyed them.
    *Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
    *My Sister’s Voice by Mary Carter
    *Beneath a Marbled Sky by John Shors

• July 31, 2010 at 12:57 am

Love this idea. I love Kingsolver, Eugenides, and Margaret Atwood is a particular favorite of mine. I am currently reading Middlesex and just finished Prodigal Summer by Kingsolver. Other favorite others are Jonathan Safran Foer (this guy is brilliant), Ayn Rand, and classics like Edith Wharton, Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, etc.

• July 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Oh gosh – I second/third the goodreads comments. It not only makes for a great list of what I’ve read in the past – but I’m so much more productive at the library…knowing EXACTLY what is on my list to read next.

Right now I’m reading “Women, Food, & God” by Geneen Roth & hope to tackle “The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie” by Muriel Spark not long afterwards.

• July 29, 2010 at 7:50 pm

love reading the comments – sally could be in our husband/wife bookclub even if that title doesn’t suit her individual status = we just finished reading Little Bee, have read and enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, Rant by C. Palahniuk was loved and hated, and Girl with the Dragon Tatoo which everyone loved. Next up is The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister – my choice…hopefully will lead to a great discussion.

• July 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm

There’s not much on my reading pile at the moment as I’ve just moved temporarily and left all my reading at home. This is a great idea and I’ve gotten some great inspiration in the comments for my next few books!

• July 29, 2010 at 8:40 am

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami. A strange book, but probably the best I’ve ever read. Something about Murakami’s writing style is absolutely entrancing. He writes in a more colorful and descriptive way than most visual artists paint. It’s the only book I’ve ever been able to read multiple times without getting bored.

• July 29, 2010 at 1:40 am

yeay! I look forward to following this. I’m always looking for new books to dive into. There is something so pleasurable about the few days or week when you are reading an incredible book and you carry it around with you everywhere you go, sneaking into it while waiting at the bank, or office, etc. It’s like carrying an alternate universe around in your satchel.

I have a weakness for spy novels. Right now I am reading “Gun Seller” by Hugh Laurie – I guess he is the actor in TV House. He’s a very talented guy. It’s actually really fun. I try to split time between fiction and non. The last nonfiction that blew me away was “The Lost Language of Plants” by Stephen Buhner. If you like Kingsolver, you will love this! Also I read “wild Swans” recommended by a friend. It’s a generational story about Chinese women – fascinating.

• July 28, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I highly recommend Little Bee by Chris Cleave. I also love pretty much everything Barbara Kingsolver writes. Eugenides is also one of my favorites – you’re right, he does need to put something new out! I like Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club, Choke, Haunted) for pure entertaining grittiness.

• July 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I am always looking for new reads and am embarrassed to say it has been a few months since I had anything good to read. Definitely going to check out the flickr photos 🙂 What a fun idea!

• July 28, 2010 at 12:09 am

I have this fascination with looking at other people’s bookshelves and piles of books. I can see that I’m going to be spending more time looking at your flickr group now!

• July 27, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I just finished reading She Ain’t Heavy, She’s My Mother by Bryan Batt who plays Sal Romano on Mad Men. I LOVED it…I want to be his sister now! I also absolutely loved Very Valentine and the sequel Brava Valentine by Adriana Trigiani. I didn’t want to put them down! The writing makes you feel as if you are actually there with the characters.

• July 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm

i like this idea. I have never heard of any of those books, though I have heard of a couple of the authors. It sounds like a cool idea to widen my scope so to speak. There’s only three or four books on my “pile”. I tend to keep track of my pile over on goodreads. I am finding it a good way to keep track of what I have and haven’t rea in case my house ever goes up in a tornado or something. lol. I’m not usually one to read books more than once unless they are special favorites. There’s just too much else out there to read imo. anyways I look forward to following along.

• July 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I also love Bukowski! Ham on Rye is my favorite. I just finished Zeitoun by Dave Eggers which was impossible to put down.

You should check out GoodReads.com – it’s pretty awesome.

• July 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm

just added a photo of my stack 🙂 I’m currently mainly reading Boneshaker by Cherie Priest- a Steampunk Zombie book – and Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear – a mystery book set in the 1930’s. I have a few books in the wings though too .

• July 27, 2010 at 11:56 am

Hi Jen,

Found you through a Twitter friend’s link… great to find an enthusiastic fellow reader. I worked in an indie bookstore for 8 years so I have a HUGE backlog of books to work my way through! I also loved Middlesex, and was lucky enough to attend a book club/ reading/ signing event he did at our store. So I have a signed first edition Pulitzer winner, woot! 🙂

As far as recent fiction, I loved Jesse Ball’s “The Way Through Doors”. An amazing short novel in a surrealist, poetic, psychedelic fairy tale vein.

If any of you are into food books, I have a section on my blog devoted to food-related books I’ve read- memoirs, books about food “politics”, novels & more:

Cheers & happy reading!