El cosmico and I used to live in a trailer.

I have a confession to make….I used to live in a trailer. When Mr. Indie Fixx and I moved out on our own, (I was only 16) we lived in a trailer for a couple of years. In the city, people live in cheap apartments with 5 roommates, but in the more rural areas of the US, people live in trailers when they 1st move out. Even though we lived in a trailer, it was fun being out on our own &  having our own place. I fixed it up all nice…well as nice as we could afford anyway. Our trailer days are long behind us, but we still have reminiscence about those times and remember a certain fondness for our 1965 Fleetwood Mobile Home.

For those who read Readymade magazine, you may have already seen this, but when I 1st saw the February/March cover I flipped. Featured on the cover was El Cosmico, a concept lodging destination in Marfa, Texas in southwest Texas. El Cosmisco features renovated vintage trailers, reinvented yurt structures called eco shacks, a traditional 22 ft. diameter Sioux teepee & and a number of tent campsites for visitors. It’s designed to be more than a just remote getaway too, with workshops and retreats ranging from sewing to cooking to art classes & writing workshops. Plans are also in the works for a series of art creation spaces as well. Some of the trailers are really stunningly renovated and it’s now officially one of the places Mr. Indie Fixx and I want to visit.  Especially since our friends want us to visit them when they move back to Alamogordo, New Mexico!

Take a look and see if your image of trailers isn’t modified some!

img_7274.jpg

{{{{image from El Cosmico}}}

img_8173.jpg

{{{{image from El Cosmico}}}

readymadelcosmica2.jpg

{{{{image from Readymade magazine}}}

readymadelcosmica1.jpg

{{{{image from Readymade magazine}}}

readymadelcosmica3.jpg

{{{{image from Readymade magazine}}}

8 thoughts on “El cosmico and I used to live in a trailer.

• April 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I would love to live in this trailer, just me and my little dog.

• March 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm

You should check out the Shady Dell in Bisbee Arizona. We stayed there, in a beautiful renovated trailer, a few years ago and had an amazing time:

• March 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I grew up in a trailer. I love these pics.

• March 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I have to say…I would much rather live in that gorgeous trailer than in my super crappy apartment. In a heartbeat. It’s funny, though, how trailers are seen as a sort of some sort of cheap thing…ANYthing can be made beautiful! And, you two can say you’ve had that experience, which is always a plus :).

xoxo,
    Ms. Seberg

• March 15, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Ugh. I lived for years in a trailer because as you said rural living means a lot of trailers.

But wow I never lived in any trailer that pretty!
    A fun retreat and pretty digs. 🙂

• March 15, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I never thought anyone could make living in a trail look attractive, but somehow it just works. It kind of reminds me of Grey’s Anatomy. Thanks for sharing!

• March 15, 2010 at 11:22 am

wow those look beautiful. I love almost all things retro and I love camping – so this is something I should def put on my to visit list! 🙂

• March 15, 2010 at 11:03 am

I’d love to try what is it like to live in a trailer.
    In Hungary it is not common to live in a trailer, so we dont have a culture for fancy trailers.