Wednesday Indie Artist Fixx with Little Alouette
Here’s today’s Wednesday Indie Artist Fixx interview. I gotta run right now, but will be back later today.
1. What’s the name of your business & what do you create and sell?
Little Alouette, a Wee wood toy company! Teether, blocks, toys, rattles!
2. What’s your creative process like?
We write notes and sketches and tape them to the wall in our dining room. It’s like in college when I had to learn quotes or formulas or dates- I would write them on a big wipe off board and when I was just hanging out I would see it. I would be drinking beer on a Tuesday night and I would just see it and learn it. Nowadays it is kind of like that only I am changing diapers or paying bills or whatnot and just cooking those ideas into my frontal lobes.
Joe is the one who comes up with the first draft of anything and then me and the kids test it and play with it and help work out the kinks.
We also need music. It’s like the elixir of creativity round here.
3. How did you get your start and what made you decide to take the plunge and sell your craft?
Joe started making Finnian toys when he was a baby and it just organically grew from there. Two things helped:
-We were annoyed at toy recalls and worried about toy safety.
-We were broke and people kept urging us to try.
We did. We are still broke, but are deliriously happy to be trying to forge our own way. Smiling all the time at the entrepreneurial spirit we are rubbing into the souls of our children. Happy to be a family that gets to be together more than most.
4. What have you recently been reading, watching and listening to?
Reading: Marlena Morling poet and tons of Joan Didion lately
Watching: Shameless British series/ Weeds
Listening: Madness and Camper Van Beethoven lately
5. What are your inspirations in your art and life?
My family, the past, colors, music, my old granny.
6. Share something silly about yourself.
I like to make lip synch videos on my laptop.
7. Is there something that you learned as an adult that you wished you knew as a kid?
That everything always works out somehow.
8. What’s new or in the works?
Ride on toys. More developmental toys. Fun stuff!