Well here is today’s Wednesday Indie Artist Fixx with Shana Flodstrom from Little Houses Clothing (Etsy Shop)…better a little late in the day than never. I’m going to go back to watching the snow while huddling under a blanket on the couch.
1. What’s the name of your business, what do create and sell and how did you get your start?
My company name is Little Houses Clothing (Etsy Shop). I make one of a kind, handmade clothing and accessories. I started about 5 years ago with a girlfriend of mine, we started doing lino block prints onto t-shirts and bags and sold them at local craft fairs. That business of ours prompted me to go to Fashion School.
2. Who are 3 of your favorite designers of all times?
3. What are your inspirations in your art and life?
I get inspired by other designers who are doing the same thing I am, and doing it well. I also have a lot of really talented and creative friends who inspire me everyday.
4. Share what your creative process is like.
I usually will just get an idea, and before I even have a chance to write it down, I’m cutting out the fabric. Sometimes it takes till about the third try before I get it right.
5. Where do you like to shop at?
I actually mostly shop at Value Village or other thrift stores. I seem to find the best stuff there all the time. If I do get the urge to buy something new, I try to shop locally. There is a street in Vancouver that has pretty much all local designers, so I tend to stick to that area.
6. What’s better, all the money in the world or all the free time you want?
Free time. The thought of having to work a 9-5 job for the rest of my life is terrifying and sounds depressing. I may not be making a ton of money, but I’m so happy to be able to enjoy life, work when I want to work, and only have to answer to myself.
7. What have you recently been reading, watching and listening to?
I don’t read much because I am always on the go, and I also don’t own a TV. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Fleet Foxes, Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, Beirut and Band Of Horses.
8. What’s new or in the works?
I am currently trying to get ready for Spring ’10.. I think there may be some dresses in the works this season.