I just love mushrooms. I am a certified mushroom fiend. But here’s the thing, I don’t really like mushroom soup…or at least not the ones I’ve tried so far. So when I saw a recipe for creamy mushroom soup in this month’s Vegetarian Times (February 2010), I just had to give it a try. Of course, I couldn’t just make it straight from the pages either….I had to modify it to suit my tastes. The recipe called for soy creamer, but I opted to use cashew paste instead. Using cashews not only gives the soup a creaminess, but helps to thicken it and adds a delicious nuttiness.
You will also note that I used more everyday mushrooms for the soup, but added some browned exotic mushrooms as a topper for flavor, texture and visual appeal. You can honestly use any mushrooms you want for this soup though and I think it would turn out amazing!
Creamy Mushroom Soup…hold the cream
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups of fresh mushroom, mixed variety like button & crimini
1 cup of fresh mushrooms, exotic like shitake, oyster, king trumpet etc. can use dried as well
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/3 cup of red wine
1 cup of raw cashews
1/4 cup water
S +P to taste
- Add the cashews to the food processor and pulse until chopped. Add the water and blend until you get a watery paste. You can add more water to get the desired consistency.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Saute the mushrooms and shallots until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and continue to cook until garlic becomes fragrant. Add salt + pepper.
- Turn up heat and add the red wine. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Reduce the heat and add the vegetable broth. Then add the cashew mixture and stir well.
- Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add butter to a saute pan. Once melted, add exotic mushrooms and saute until browned. If using dried, soak beforehand.
- Transfer soup to the blender and puree until smooth. Ladle into bowls and top with the browned exotic mushrooms.
I’m going to say 4-5. depends on the serving size.
How many does this serve?
I made it and it was amazing! Thanks again for sharing 😉
I just got all the ingredients for this and will try it out tonight on the hubby. Thank you for posting it! I agree – hard to find nice creamy soups without the cream! And who wouldn’t love cashews… mmmm….
I love mushrooms and this soup sounds heavenly! I’m printing this and adding it to my grocery list right now. Thanks!
Oooh, I rarely cook, but this looks so yummy it just may inspire me to do so! The cashew paste idea is especially enticing 🙂
OK so I bought everything to make it tonight. Can’t wait to see how it turns out! 🙂 Thanks for sharing and the pictures are great btw. 🙂
Oh my that looks so good! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Awesome! Glad it turned out well for you. I’m planning on making it again with different mushrooms.
Ok, I just made it and it’s the most AWESOME soup ever!!! So creamy and delicious all without dairy. Thanks for posting Jen, it will be a weekly meal for us now 🙂
sorry, it’s 1/4 water!
I’m so glad you posted this, and excited to try it this week. I’ve been looking for a cream-less version, but geez! Soy creamer! Of all the yuck. I hadn’t thought of using cashews. I am confused about the “1/4 cup” after the cashews. Is something left out?
Wow, this sounds amazing! I think it will be on my grocery list tomorrow. It’s so great to meet fellow vegetarians online 🙂
If you like spinach and peanuts, I totally recommend this soup..it’s incredible:
Comments are closed.