1. What’s the name of your business, what do create and sell and how did you get your start?
Saídos da Concha is all about making things for women, babies and home by hand and with great care and attention to detail. I was so inspired when I discovered sewing blogs 3 years ago and couldn’t start making my own things fast enough!
2. Who are 3 of your favorite artists of all times?
As far as painting is concerned, it’s more about the genre than the painter itself: I love 17th century Flemish painting (portraits of everyday life). As for fashion, I’m going through a 1930’s phase; in terms of design, the more Scandinavian the better. When it comes to crafts, Amy Butler is the rockstar.
3. What blogs and mags do you read and what shops do you shop at?
I adore Selvedge magazine and read the popular design blogs. Oh, and I have to mention SouleMama for the daily inspiration and sensation of peace and harmony. As for shops, I mainly buy books (Amazon and Persephone, the London publishing house) and BBC period drama DVDs…
4. What’s your creative process like?
I start with an idea and make a rough sketch of what I wish to achieve. After that, the process is quite organic: I basically make it up as I go along.
5. What 3 things can’t you live without?
My darling husband, of course! Other than that, a sewing machine, a computer with internet connection and fabric!
6. What’s better all the money in the world or all the free time?
All the free time! I mean, I choose peace of mind, quality time with friends and family and the occasional trip over a corporate job earning loads of money.
7. What’s the best thing about what you do? And the worst?
Best: no boss and no schedule. Worst: no-one to exchange ideas with. And no schedule.