My ER adventure…

No regular posting today as a result of my ER adventure last night.  “What,” you ask? Well, I started seeing a crescent shaped spot in my left eye & got a severe headache last evening after dinner. I had these symptoms for about a 1/2 hour when Mr. Indie Fixx said that it was time to go to the ER.  After 8 hours of waiting, I finally saw a doctor and had a CAT scan done.  They found I did have actually have a brain and luckily that nothing serious was going on inside my head. So, at 5 am we headed home. After too little sleep,  it was off to the eye doctor to find out what was going on.  Luckily again, found out nothing serious was going on, but I had suffered what is called a retinal migraine. The bad news is that it may happen again…at least I will know that I am not dying or going blind if it does happen again though.

Anyway, I am exhausted and still dilated, so I am going to take it easy today and I will be back at work tomorrow.

23 thoughts on “My ER adventure…

• February 9, 2009 at 6:40 pm

FYI…..It is also normal to lose your ability to speak when having one of these. It happened to me and I thought I had a brain tumor because I could not say what I was thinking in my head, but luckily it was just a migraine.

• February 6, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I get those too. I thought I was having a stroke the first time I had one because I literally couldn’t see out of my one eye. I found that it’s a precursor to an upcoming migraine. Glad to hear you are OK.

• February 6, 2009 at 11:05 am

it always breaks my heart when i hear about someone having migraines, i have them too. 🙁 i’m soooo sorry i hope it doesn’t happen again and if it does not any time soon! xox love your site, get well.

• February 5, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I’m glad it’s “only” a retinal migraine, which can be horrendous, as you’ve unfortunately learned first hand! What a not fun night and day for you!

• February 5, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I’m so glad you’re OK and they were able to tell you what happened!

• February 5, 2009 at 1:32 pm

OMG I got one about an hour ago. I have learned that if I go to a dark room, close my eyes and relax for about 5-15 minutes, it will go away. I’ve had these since I was a little girl. It goes way back in my family history and continues on in my great nephews. Just remember to RELAX – Stress is a major factor. Good luck to you.

• February 5, 2009 at 12:45 pm

thanks for all your well wishes. it’s nice to be loved! 😉

• February 5, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Oh my, so glad that you know the reason for the headaches! I’m googling the term up because I do not know what a retinal migraine is. My first thought that flashed through my mind was a retina having a migraine. But then again, I’m being silly! Take care Jen!

• February 5, 2009 at 11:54 am

So glad you are ok! That must have been scary – rest up and feel better soon!

• February 5, 2009 at 11:45 am

How scary– Thank goodness it wasn’t something super serious– but so sorry to hear it may happen again. Take care!!

• February 5, 2009 at 6:52 am

I really like your blog and just wanted to say yikes – I’m glad you’re ok, but I’m sure that was so scary. Get some sleep!

• February 5, 2009 at 2:34 am

Ick – I’m sure that was immensely stressful and lacking in any degree of fun! But it’s good to hear that nothing too serious is happening. I hope you get some good rest in.

• February 4, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Oh,SO not funny! I have that a few times a week! sometimes it end up in a severe head acke… sometimes not.
    But the first few times it really scared me!
    Be happy that it wasn’t anything really really bad 🙂

• February 4, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Yikes! Glad to hear it was nothing serious, but scary nonetheless. Hope you feel better soon!

• February 4, 2009 at 8:10 pm

so so glad to hear you are okay. what an ordeal. i hope you’ve had a restful day without any headaches! feel better! xo

• February 4, 2009 at 6:51 pm

eep! that’s a bit of a scare. good thing you’re ok! i had something similar happen recently–heart issues! ugh! 🙂

• February 4, 2009 at 6:12 pm

OMG OMG I had that once and I swore at the time that I had been poisoned by the coffee I had just drunk. I was at work when all of the sudden my vision went berserk and my coworkers were really scared for me. It wasn’t until hours later I learned about retinal migraines. That was years ago and I haven’t had one since and I would prefer never to have one again. Hoping the same for you.

• February 4, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Time to find a neurologist that specializes in migraines in your area so that you can have medication nearby to knock out the migraine immediately if you get another. Poor thing. I feel for you.

• February 4, 2009 at 5:08 pm

I feel so sorry for you (although seeing ones brain is pretty awesome!). As a long time migraine-sufferer I can promise that if it comes back it wont be as scary, even if the pain might feel like it’s about to do you in…

Best wishes for your health!

• February 4, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Yep, that’s a migraine. I used to get them all the time. Find a good doctor who’s willing to work with you to find out what your triggers are. Mine are MSG and stress.

• February 4, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Ugh! So glad you’re okay! I had my first ocular migraine a couple of weeks ago. It was very scary! But at least it wasn’t a stroke or going blind!

• February 4, 2009 at 4:37 pm

oh heavens! so glad you’re okay, nicey! hope you can get some rest.. .and that it’ll never come back!! be well….