by guest contributor Jessica Gonacha
Continuing with the ‘back-to-school’ theme from my post last week, I thought we’d take a look at some eco-friendly school supplies, just in time for the first day back!
1. Recycled Newspaper pencils by TreeSmart — made of 100% recycled newspapers, rolled around #2 lead!
2. Biodegradable Pens by Vegetarian Shoes at Vegan Essentials.
3. Ecojot Notebooks — 100% recycled paper from 100% post-consumer waste. No new trees were used to make their products!
4. Recycled paper clips — made from 100% recycled steel.
5. Staple-free stapler — this genius stapler stitches sheets of paper together in place of a staple.
6. Hemp Messenger Bag by Green Guru Gear — and the bottom of the bag is made from reclaimed rubber inner tubes!
7. Baumm Recycled Messenger Bag— based in Buenos Aires, this company makes their products from recycled billboards and banners.
8. Notebooks, Binders, and more by Greenroom Eco — awesome designs, recycled and printed with non-toxic soy ink.
9. Elephant Poo Poo Paper Journal — available at Target. And yes, it’s really made from elephant waste.
Have fun! Back to school shopping was always my favorite, and I’ve been trying to think of excuse for why I need to go ‘back-to-school’ shopping, even though I’m not in school anymore!
GREEN CHALLENGE: Make notepads out of scrap paper to keep around your house for note-taking. Raid the recycling bin, and whatever doesn’t have anything printed on the back, USE IT! Maybe you can create a cardboard back for your pad out of a cut up cereal box? Maybe make a cover with a collage from old magazines? Use your imagination, and post your creations to the Indie is the New Green flickr group!
About the contributor: Jessica Gonacha is an artist from Atlanta, Georgia who is endlessly creating. Her work includes paintings, drawings, illustrations, and paper goods and is vibrant, colorful, and charming. Her work can be found on her site, in her Etsy shop and in the Indie Fixx Shop. You can also read more about Jessica and her work on her blog.