Goodbye, kitty

My kitty Thundercloud passed away. She was a rescued feral cat who was more comfortable living outdoors than indoors, but in the cold winter and hot summer she would come inside. She never did get much used to kitty litter, but preferred to sleep in the litter box and pee in the toilet. She used to love to take walks, not on a leash or anything, but whenever she was around when we went for our evening constitutional, she would follow along for the entire walk.

She was usually a very grumpy cat and more likely to swat at you than to rub up against your leg, but I loved her. She and I understood each other. She was a wild one and was way past her allotted nine lives. In fact, about two years ago she was poisoned somehow and almost died. The vet said, “At this point, she’s either going to live or die and it’s up to her.” She did live, but that life or death episode took a lot out her and she was never quite the same old Thundercloud. She was more likely to not take a walk with us, but I still loved her.

Every three to four months she would go missing for a week or two at a time, and every time I thought, “This is it for Thundercloud,” but each time she made her way home…usually after I blanketed the neighborhood with flyers and went around knocking on doors. This time she had been missing for five days, before our neighbors found her curled up under their grill. They thought she was asleep, but she wasn’t. At least she didn’t go off somewhere and leave us wondering. She was only eight years old, but in her rough-living life that was more like sixteen.

I’m going to miss my Thundercloud. You were aptly named and just like a summer thunderstorm–beautiful and brilliant, dangerous and mesmerizing, yet over before you know it.

Some more pics of Thundercloud.

16 thoughts on “Goodbye, kitty

• June 20, 2007 at 5:35 am

I’m so sorry it’s because of her death that you shared your (her) story, but it really is a lovely story. It’s amazing how cats and people can come to understand each other, especially when, like you did, we let the cats be cats, whether they’re the cuddly, “love-me” kind of cat or the “you-may-briefly-share-my-space-while-the-mood-strikes-me” kind of cat or any of the many kinds in between.

• June 19, 2007 at 11:28 am

She does sound like a special girl. I’m sorry for your loss but glad you have 2 kitties to help you through it.

• June 18, 2007 at 6:28 pm

As a fellow cat mama, my heart goes out to you Jen. 🙁 At least it seems she went peacefully and had a full, fun life!

• June 18, 2007 at 1:17 pm

oh! I’m so sorry! Losing a kitty is so hard, I wish the best for you. You’re a wonderful person for giving so much love to Thundercloud. I’m sure she knew it, too.

• June 18, 2007 at 11:59 am

So sorry to hear about your loss. Thundercloud sounds like she was an amazing kitty, especially the peeing in the toilet part!! Her personality reminds me a lot of my (also deceased) kitty Beetlejuice. Perhaps they’re being brilliant and dangerous together in kitty heaven.

• June 18, 2007 at 8:13 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I am an avid pet lover, so I can sympathize. Hang in there!

• June 17, 2007 at 10:49 pm

I am so sorry about your sweet putty cat. I have one that likes to give a me a swat and nip, but as you stated we still love them anyway.I know how much you will miss her.

• June 17, 2007 at 9:22 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like she was a very special cat and that you gave her a wonderful life. {{{{hugs}}}

• June 17, 2007 at 8:50 pm

I am so sorry and am sure you’ll miss her. 🙁 It is wonderful that she found love and care with you, though.

• June 17, 2007 at 8:05 pm

Oh, Jen – I am so sorry for your loss. My sweet Beaux left us in April and I will never be the same. I had no idea how much you could love a pet until he came into my life and how much they add. He was special, just like Thundercloud. What a beautiful girl. She is in a better place. Big hugs to you!

• June 17, 2007 at 5:40 pm

awwwwwwwwww. i’m so sorry. i know how it feels. sounds like you gave her a great life.

• June 17, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Losing a pet is one of the worst! She sounds like she was a wonderful cat.

• June 17, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Oh, sweet little girl. So sorry she’s gone, she sounds very special. {hugs}

• June 17, 2007 at 2:59 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Jen. It’s amazing how cats choose us and allow us to be a part of their lives. My heart goes out to you, I know the hurt you’re feeling.

• June 17, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Awww I’m sorry you lost her, Jen! She is gorgeous, and looks a lot like my Kobe boy! Awesome little white paws, cute little face! 🙂

• June 17, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Aw, Jen, I’m so sorry. 🙁 It sounds like she was a great cat.